These fresh vegan summer rolls with kimchi dipping sauce are light, healthy and so much fun to make! They’re loaded with fresh vegetables for a refreshing gut-healthy lunch.
Homemade Summer Rolls with Kimchi
A summer roll is just a bunch of nutritious veggies rolled into sheets of re-hydrated rice paper. Sounds easy enough right?
At first Summer Rolls can appear very hard to make, especially if you’ve seen the elaborate ones people craft on Instagram! However, they are quite easy to make at home. Summer rolls are one of our favorite things to make for parties, events, and appetizers. These rolls are also perfect for a quick and delicious lunch.
How to Make Vegan Summer Rolls
It’s best to read through all the directions and prep all of your ingredients before you begin. The key is to have all of the ingredients prepped, chopped, and ready for assembly. We like to clear off our kitchen table and create a sort of assembly line workspace before getting started making summer rolls.
It is fun to mix up the ingredients list too. Just remember to stray from any veggies that are too wet, because they can cause the rice paper to tear. Also, there’s no need to add seasonings or salt to the inner contents of a summer roll. The summer roll is supposed to serve as a fresh, blank canvas for the dipping sauce it is served with. Adding salt into the summer roll will make it soggy, and it will fall apart.
How to Roll Up Rice Paper Sheets (with pictures)
To begin making summer rolls, submerge the rice paper sheet in water for five seconds then place it on a dry plate.
Next, add the filling ingredients. Don’t add too much, or the rice paper wrapper may tear.
Fold in the two sides and press down.
With one of the open ends facing you, fold the open side over the ingredients and press down. Then roll it up.
Other Fresh Recipes to Try
- Black Pepper Chickpea Caesar Salad with Vegan Parmesan
- Healthy Meal Prep Idea: Greek Chickpea Salad
- Simple Summer Salad with Mango, Tomatoes, and Cucumbers
How to Make Fresh Vegan Summer Rolls with Kimchi
These fresh vegan summer rolls with kimchi are light, healthy and so much fun to make! They’re loaded with fresh vegetables for a refreshing gut-healthy lunch.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 rolls 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Roll
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Summer Roll Ingredients
- 2 cups zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 cup Kimchi
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- Large Rice Paper Sheets
- Cooked rice noodles
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons Kimchi Brine
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Gather, measure, and prepare all the ingredients.
- To rehydrate the rice paper sheets: use a dinner plate that is slightly deep. Add just enough water to the plate to submerge the sheets. We find that room temperature water works best and results in softened rice paper that is easy to work with.
- Submerge one rice paper sheet into the water at a time, count to five and remove. It should be slightly more flimsy. Place it flat on a clean dry plate.
- Layer the ingredients in the center of the rice paper sheet. Do not overfill.
- Rolling up the Summer Rolls: fold the top and bottom of the rice paper up, like you are folding a burrito. Then fold one side over, and continue rolling it up until the rice paper is sealed up.
- Repeat until you have used all the ingredients.
- Dipping sauce: Add all of the dipping sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and fully combined.
- I like to cut summer rolls in half before serving. Make sure you use a sharp knife to cut these without ripping them.
Keywords: summer rolls, kimchi recipe