This Marinated & Fermented Dairy-Free Feta Cheese is so simple to make, and is ready to eat in just 24 hours! This vegan feta is very close to real feta cheese thanks to umami flavors from miso and fermented sauerkraut brine! It’s so versatile, perfect as a topping on a salad, vegan pizza, or on top of some sourdough focaccia.
The Best Vegan Tofu Feta Crumbles
Feta cheese usually comes in little cubes or in crumbles. I’m personally a fan of the crumbly feta texture, so that’s what we re-created here with tofu. This recipe requires extra firm, pressed tofu to achieve a texture that is so close to dairy feta, you’ll think it’s the real thing!
I like to use the extra firm, sprouted tofu from Trader Joe’s. Jon and I have a great tofu press that’s perfect for draining out the tofu for recipes like this. It’s essential to press the tofu to get most of the moisture out, so the tofu will be firmer and soak up all the delicious flavors of the marinade.
Homemade Dairy-Free Feta Cheese
This recipe is so easy, that you’ll want to make it at home all the time. I think for most people, being dairy-free is hard. Cheese is so delicious, and I still enjoy dairy cheese regularly. This is especially true when things like feta cheese pasta and feta cheese dip start trending on TikTok. YUM! This homemade dairy-free feta may not melt like feta, but it’s just as creamy and flavorful. Try it in hummus, on toast, as a topping on sourdough focaccia, or in any salad recipe.
How to Ferment Dairy-Free Feta
I classify this recipe as a fermentation recipe since we add live active microorganisms to the mix via fermented sauerkraut brine and miso. This is a short fermentation, requiring only 24 hours at room temperature for proper culturing before placing the feta in the fridge. During the 24-hour fermentation time, the tofu marinates and ferments in the brine mixture, resulting in umami, salty, and slightly tart feta.
More Fermentation Recipes to Try
- Learn How to Ferment Green Tomatoes
- Roasted Garlic Sauerkraut with Black Pepper
- How to Make Probiotic Fermented Cherry Tomatoes
The Best Marinated & Fermented Dairy-Free Feta Cheese
This Marinated & Fermented Dairy-Free Feta Cheese is so simple to make, and is ready to eat in just 24 hours! This vegan feta tastes just like real feta cheese thanks to umami flavors from miso and fermented sauerkraut brine! It’s so versatile, perfect as a topping on a salad, vegan pizza, or on top some sourdough focaccia.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: toppings
- Method: fermentation
- Cuisine: greek
- Diet: Vegan
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fermented sauerkraut brine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a jar, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until evenly combined.
- If you haven’t already, press the extra-frim tofu for 30 minutes to remove most of the liquid. Crumble the tofu into medium pieces.
- Add the tofu to the jar of the marinade and stir to combine.
- Allow the tofu to marinate in the brine for 24 hours at room temperature.
- After 24 hours, immediately place the tofu feta in the fridge.
- Serve with bread, salads, sandwiches, or on a cheeseboard and enjoy!
Keywords: feta, cheese, vegan, fermented