Chickpea Caesar salad is all about the dressing and parmesan! This salad recipe includes instructions for making our homemade vegan Caesar dressing and our delicious recipe for vegan parmesan cheese. This is a perfect, filling, vegan salad for lunch or dinner!
Chickpea Caesar Salad Basics
To make a good Caesar salad, we have to make a thick, delicious Caesar dressing. Since we do not use any animal ingredients, the dressing includes a few interesting and fun ingredients:
- Vegan Steak Sauce: This is where a lot of the “Caesar” flavor comes from. The best brand I’ve used is called Primal Kitchen and I get it from Whole Foods.
- Vegan Mayo: This is the creamy factor. I do not suggest using regular mayo, use vegan mayo. I like the one at Trader Joe’s.
- Olive Juice: I use juice from brined purple olives.
- Flavor Basics: Other than those base ingredients you’ll need garlic, mustard, black pepper, and nutritional yeast.
Black Pepper Chickpea Caesar Salad
When I used to eat meat, I loved big caesar salads with black pepper chicken on top. For me, I think this was the hardest meal to give up. So naturally, I created my own recipe and subbed for black pepper chickpeas! I honestly love this vegan version better. It feels more nourishing, gives me more energy at lunchtime, and it just simply tastes better!
I think chickpeas are the most versatile plant protein. They’re a blank canvas for almost any flavor and gut-friendly for mostly everyone. This Caesar salad tastes great with chickpeas seasoned other ways too, like lemon garlic or cajun seasoned. You can also try the buffalo chickpea seasoning found in our Cheesy Broccoli Pasta Salad Recipe.
This vegan cheese is phenomenal. I don’t think a caesar salad can be complete without a little parmesan. Making the cheese is fairly simple. It works best if you have a good food processor or blender to get the right texture. For the ingredients, you’ll just need five things:
- Raw Cashews
- Hemp Seeds
- Nutritional Yeast
- Garlic Powder
To make the cheese, just add all of these ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until it forms a parmesan cheese-like texture. It’s really that simple. Just make sure you’re pulsing the ingredients. If you blend continuously at a high speed, you may end up with a cashew butter consistency.Print
Black Pepper Chickpea Caesar Salad with Vegan Parmesan
Caesar salad is all about the dressing and parmesan! This recipe includes instructions for making our homemade vegan Caesar dressing and our delicious recipe for vegan parmesan cheese. This is a perfect, filling, vegan salad for lunch or dinner!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entreé
- Method: Chopped Vegetables
- Cuisine: American
- 2 Romaine Lettuce Hearts, Washed and Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider Vinegar.
- 1 16 Ounce Can Chickpeas, Drained and Rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Steak Sauce (vegan)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons Sauerkraut Brine
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Nutritional Yeast
Vegan Parmesan Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Hemp Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- In a large bowl, add the chopped romaine and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Toss until all of the romain has been coated in a little bit of vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse the lettuce with cool water.
- In a skillet over medium heat combine the olive oil, chickpeas, black pepper, and sea salt. Cook the chickpeas until slightly browned.
- In a blender or food processor combine all of the parmesan cheese ingredients. Pulse for about one minute, until the ingredients combine to resemble parmesan cheese crumbles. Don’t blend on a high speed, or you will end up with cashew butter.
- In a blender, combine all of the dressing ingredients.
- Add the chickpeas and the dressing to the bowl of lettuce and toss to combine.
- Serve and top with vegan parmesan.
* this recipe provides four side salad portions OR two large salad portions.
Keywords: black pepper,chickpea,caesar salad,vegan,parmesan