Sourdough Lemon Blueberry Cookies (Blueberry Muffin Cookies)
This is the best lemon blueberry cookie recipe! These lemon blueberry cookies are made with fresh blueberries, fermented lemon, and sourdough starter for the most fantastic texture and flavor. I like to call these blueberry muffin cookies because they taste just like the top of a blueberry muffin!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies
- Category: sourdough
- Method: baking
- 340 grams all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 230 grams unsalted butter, room temp, soft
- 250 grams organic cane sugar
- 55 grams organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temp
- 2 tablespoons fermented lemon rind, rinsed well and finely minced (or Zest of 2 lemons)
- 100 grams sourdough starter (active, hydrated)*
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup blueberry preserves
- Before getting started make sure your butter and eggs are room temperature.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter, cane sugar, and brown sugar together until combined.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the egg, egg yolk, lemon extract, lemon juice, fermented lemon (or zest) and sourdough starter. If you are using fermented lemon, be sure to rinse it well, remove the pulp and finely mince the rind.
- Mix well until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together with a spatula until combined.
- Wash the blueberries, drain them well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Fold in the fresh blueberries and blueberry preserves until just combined. You want the blueberry jam to be swirly through the dough, not full incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or reusable beeswax wrap and refrigerate the dough overnight.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls. Roll the balls through some cane sugar to lightly coat them before baking.
- Drop them 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-18 minutes until the cookies are set on the edges.
- Allow to cool completely on the pan.
- how hydrated your starter is can influence the final texture of the cookies. I used a 100% (1:1) hydration starter.
- if you want to use discard instead of an active starter, ensure it is at room temperature.
Keywords: blueberry, lemon, cookies, sourdough