Soft Sourdough Buffalo Pretzels with Cheddar Cheese
Make these sourdough buffalo wing pretzels mini or large, and serve them at your next party. These cheesy hot buffalo pretzels make the perfect football game day snack.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Fermentation Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 6 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 14 pretzels
- Category: sourdough
- Method: baking
Sourdough Pretzel Dough
- 200 g active sourdough starter
- 250 g water
- 50 g honey
- 12 g sea salt
- 500 grams bread flour
- 100 grams sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 50 grams buffalo sauce
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon cool water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- In the bowl combine the active sourdough starter, water, honey, buffalo sauce and salt with a spatula.
- If you are sensitive to hot pepper, use gloves to work with the dough. Add the bread flour and use your hands to mix the dough into a shaggy dough ball.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Cover the bowl and let rest at room temperature for about 4 hours.
- Line a couple baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and roll out into a rectangle with rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into 14 long equal strips.
- Working one strip at a time, sprinkle a little flour over the strip and roll the dough a little bit until its a rope shape
- Position the long rope of dough into a horseshoe shape.
- Lift the ends of the rope and twist 2 times. Fold the twist over and press the ends on the dough. (See pictures above)
- Cover the shaped dough with a towel and let rise for about 2 or 3 hours until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Boil the water in a large stockpot and add the baking soda and sugar.
- Mix the buffalo sauce egg wash together by combining the egg, buffalo sauce and water.
- Boil the pretzels, 2 at a time, on both sides for 30 seconds each, making sure not to crowd the pot. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pretzels and place back on the parchment paper.
- Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 20-30 minutes on the center rack or until golden brown.
Keywords: pretzels, buffalo, sourdough