How to Make Kombucha Vinegar
Need a break from brewing kombucha but not sure what to do with your SCOBYs? Brew some kombucha vinegar! Kombucha vinegar is made just like kombucha but with more sugar initially and a much longer fermentation time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 gallon
- Category: vinegar
- Method: fermentation
- 400–600 grams sugar
- 20 grams tea
- One kombucha SCOBY (or multiple)
- about 4000 mL water
- Gather your ingredients
- Boil your water and dissolve the sugar in the water.
- Steep the tea in the hot sugar water for 5 minutes. If using tea bags, simply remove them. If using loose-leaf tea, strain all the tea leaves from the mixture.
- Allow the sweet tea mixture to cool completely. It should be room temperature before moving on to the next step.
- Once it is cool, add the kombucha SCOBY(s). Some SCOBYs float, others may sink to the bottom, either way it’s fine.
- Cover the jar with a tight-weave cloth lid and rubber band. You must use a cloth lid to allow oxygen flow.
- Keep the jar of sweet tea with the SCOBYs at moderate room temperature, out of direct sunlight for about three months undisturbed.
- Strain the SCOBYs from the vinegar, bottle the vinegar, and store in air-tight bottles at room temperature.
- Start another batch of vinegar or kombucha with the SCOBYs.
Keywords: vinegar, kombucha