Vegan Sauerkraut Soup with Mushrooms inspired by German Sauerkraut Soup
This vegan sauerkraut soup with mushrooms was inspired by German Sauerkraut Soup recipes with some influence from Ukrainian sauerkraut soup. Top with sour cream and pair with crusty sourdough bread for a perfect fall and winter meal.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: German
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground caraway
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 16 ounces homemade sauerkraut
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked and drained
- yogurt or cashew cream*
- green onions
- In a large dutch oven over medium-low heat, add the olive oil, mushrooms, Tamari, nutritional yeast, maple syrup, black pepper, and yellow onion. Cook the mushroom and onion mixture with occasional stirring until the onions and mushrooms are dark brown, caramelized, and sticking to the bottom of the pot. This can take 30-45 minutes.
- While the mushrooms and onions caramelize, preheat your oven to 475° F. Wash, peel, and cube the potatoes into small chunks. Place the potatoes on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Roast the potatoes for 30-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Once the mushrooms and onions are caramelized, deglaze the pot with 1/4 cup dry white wine, then add in the celery and carrots. Cook until the celery and carrots are soft. Taste test a carrot to make sure they are soft.
- Add in the tomato paste, paprika, and ground caraway, and stir until all the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add the entire jar of sauerkraut, with the brine, to the pot along with the roasted potatoes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, and chickpeas. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve in bowls, topped with yogurt or cashew cream and a slice of sourdough bread.
- to make cashew cream, soak 1 cup of raw cashews in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse, then add the cashews to a blender with a pinch of salt and 1/2 to 3/4 cups of plant based milk.
- Use smoked olive oil instead of regular olive oil for extra smoky flavor.
Keywords: vegan, sauerkraut, soup