Orange Cardamom Muffins with Sourdough Discard
These sourdough orange cardamom muffins are so flavorful, perfectly sweet, and are great for an easy breakfast on the go. This recipe also has an option for apple cardamom muffins.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: sourdough
- Method: Baking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or grease the tin with a bit of oil.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mash the ripe banana. Then add in the remaining wet ingredients with the banana. Whisk until just combined.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is just combined. Do not over mix. The batter should be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow cooling for about 45 minutes
- Mix icing, and drizzle it on top the muffins.
- you can evenly substitute the milk, eggs, and butter for vegan alternatives to make these muffins vegan.
- to make these apple cardamom muffins, sub the orange juice for apple juice.
Keywords: muffins, sourdough, discard, orange