We adore pasta, and we always get excited when we find new ways to incorporate sauerkraut into our meals.
A while ago, we decided to eat predominately vegan/vegetarian, and we are LOVING it. Occasionally, tough, we try to incorporate recipes with meat onto our blog too. Meat eaters have to show their gut microbiomes some love too! One of our greatest of friends, Sidney, gifted us with quite a bit of deer sausage courtesy of a south Louisiana hunter in Lake Charles. While pondering what to cook up for the blog on this cool November weekend I came across a recipe for Polish Haluski. This dish is a Polish comfort food that is made simply with butter, caramelized onions, pasta and sauerkraut. I adapted the recipe a bit, and paired with our deer sausage. It turned out wonderful! This is definitely a meal that warms the soul and is packed with vitamins, sustainable meat, essential nutrients and probiotics. Oh and carbs : ) You can definitely sub the deer sausage for a vegan alternative too. Field Roast brand has plant based "meat" that would be perfect in this recipe.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 12 ounces of noodles
- 1 cup of sauerkraut from Cultured Guru Sauerkraut or homemade sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons of organic butter
- 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Green onions
- Organic Sausage
- Boil water and add in dried pasta, cook until al dente, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, melt butter in cast iron skillet on low heat, add in chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for about 15 minutes until the onions are caramelized.
- Add in pasta and cook for about 5 minutes. Add in chopped spinach and cook for about 1 minute. Then add in a cup of sauerkraut, stir for 1 minute then turn off heat. (This small amount of time heating the sauerkraut keeps it rather raw and retains its probiotic benefits.)
- Place Polish Haluski in a serving bowl, top with cracked pepper and chopped green onions. Re-heat cast iron skillet and brown sausage. Plate sausage with pasta on the side, and enjoy this amazing, comforting, delicious meal.
Peace, Love & Microbes,