Barbecue Brussels Sprouts Bowl
Vegan + GF + Prebiotic + Probiotic
Pretty sure that Scotty despised Brussels sprouts until I made these roasted BBQ Brussels bowls. Being plant based is fun, but it takes a little bit of work and creativity to remain balanced, nourished and microbiome friendly. For us, being vegan doesn't mean eating bread and soy 24/7. It's about eating real, unadulterated food. It's SO important to find a multitude of protein sources that are rich in minerals and nourishment. Brussels sprouts a one of the most nutritious, prebiotic-packed vegetables around, and you can read more about how they are a prefect prebiotic food in this blog all about Brussels!
We've been trying out a lot more of what we call "blank canvas food" and in the meat eating world this would probably be chicken, but in the vegan world there are a lot more options than you think! Tofu and Tempeh are the obvious choices, but we only eat these in moderation. Cauliflower is another great veggie for flavoring. Something new to try though is Brussels sprouts! They taste great roasted, sautéed and steamed, and you can put them in almost any sauce that you would but tofu (or meat) in! Our FAVE thing to pair Brussels of any kind with, and what makes up half of this bowl is massaged kale salad with sauerkraut! I eat this salad almost daily with the kale base and different vegetable add ins. You can definitely tailor the salad recipe to whatever veggies you love or have on hand.
When making this, BBQ sauce is a whole world to explore. There are TONS of BBQ sauces out there. Try to find one with minimal ingredients and no preservatives. We find mustard based BBQ sauces to be extra yummy in this recipe.
Hope you guys like this one! It's going to be a regular lunch in our house.
BBQ Brussels Sprout Bowl
- 1 lb Brussles Srpouts, Washed and Cut in Half
- 1/4 Cup of your FAVE BBQ Sauce
- 4 Cups Tuscan Kale
- 1 Watermelon Radish, Chopped
- 1 Cup Arugala
- 1/4 Cup Sprouted Beans and Seeds
- 1/2 Cup of Cultured Guru Fermentated Sauerkraut, Strained
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Goddess Dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees
- Place washed and cut brussels sprouts on a baking pan lined with parchment paper, and drizzle a small amount of olive oil, then toss.
- Bake Brussels in the oven until they start to brown and become crisp
- While the brussles are baking, combine the kale and the sauerkrut in a large bowl. Massage the kale-kraut mixture until the kale softens a bit.
- Add in the Arugala, Radish, Sprouts, and dressing and toss
- Once the Brussels are slightly brown and crisp, remove them from the oven. Drizzle the BBQ sauce of your choice, and toss to evenly coat the Brussles sprouts.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes. Serve in a bowl with the salad and enjoy!
Peace, Love and Probiotics,